Tamil Nadu: Tamil Nadu Public Works Department Minister Adhav Arjun has claimed that all short-term contracts and tenders awarded during the last phase of the previous Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) government have been cancelled. He said the state government is going to make a major administrative overhaul within the next 60 days, allegedly aimed at completely eliminating corruption.
Minister Adhav Arjun made this statement while speaking to reporters at the Chennai Secretariat on Friday. He said that short-term tenders issued during the previous government’s tenure between May 13 and May 22 have been suspended. According to him, one-year contracts under these tenders had already been awarded and paid in advance to some contractors.
He alleged that this system was created with the hope that the concerned people could benefit in the future if they returned to power. The minister said that the government has now ended the alleged system, which involved a “funding arrangement” of up to 35 percent in various sectors.
Adhav Arjun also claimed that departmental oversight has been tightened, and that it is impossible to generate fake bills without district-level inspections. He said the government is identifying irregularities and conducting investigations at every level to prevent financial irregularities.
He further stated that steps have been taken to eliminate corruption-ridden systems at multiple levels in the state within a week. According to the minister, a comprehensive administrative restructuring will be carried out in the next 60 days, which will bring about major changes in the entire system.
Adhav Arjun stated that the government’s aim is to make the administrative system transparent and ensure accountability in functioning. He also stated that all departments are being reviewed and strict action will be taken wherever irregularities are found.
During his political rhetoric, he stated that the people of Tamil Nadu have voted, rejecting caste and religious politics. He also claimed that the ruling party did not field any candidate based on caste.
The minister accused opposition parties of spreading misinformation about the castes of ministers. He said he did not even know the caste of the state’s Hindu Religious and Endowments Minister, and that such discussions were unnecessary.
This statement has stirred up political turmoil in the state, sparking discussions about administrative reforms and the policies of the previous government. The opposition parties are awaiting their response.
