News

Junagadh’s Wellingdon Dam built in 1936 is still intact even after 88 years, know the interesting history

Junagadh: Wellingdon Dam near Datar Hills was built during the time of Nawab Mohabbat Khan III of Junagadh to collect rain water from Datar and Girnar Hills. Which is still standing even after completing 88 years. When the dam was built, modern engineering skills had not yet emerged. Even at that time, Indian and British engineers and artisans built the dam with black stones of Girnar. This dam has completed 88 years today.

Joint campaign of India and Britain: Indian and British engineers and artisans built the dam with black stones of Girnar. This dam has completed 88 years today. Junagadh historian Dr. Pradyumna Khachar told that on 11 May 1929, during the time of Nawab Mohabbat Khan III of Junagadh, royal astrologer Shambhuprasad Joshi performed Ganesh Puja and started the construction of the dam. After 7 years of construction, finally on 10 January 1936, the Viceroy of India, Dr. Wellington inaugurated this dam. This 44 feet high dam was designed by E. Proctor Simes. Thakarshi Ghiya as an engineer along with Ladha and Raghav Kanji who were the dam builders and KJ Gandhi introduced their artistic skills to design the dam which could store a billion gallons of water for the people of Junagadh. Owned by the Junagadh Municipal Corporation, this dam was renamed from Wellington Dam to Sardar Patel Dam on 9 November 2008.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button